We are seeing an increased need for moving away from the traditional wet sponge into the safer dry cleaning method for soldering tips. Why? Lead free!! The use of lead free solders requires more active fluxes, which can more easily lead to corrosion and oxidation of the soldering tip. The cold, wet sponge contributes to this effect by shocking the tip, barrel, and heater. This results is oxidation, poor performance, and shorter tip life.
This photo shows what can happen under these conditions. The barrel of this WSP80 has been literally eaten away by active flux and oxidation. This can be prevented with a solid tip care program, which includes dry cleaning.
* Gentle tip cleaning when using lead free solder to extend tip life
* Will not thermally shock tip because tip temperature remains constant
* Prolongs the wetability of the tip when using water soluble flux
* Collector box with soft edge for tapping off excess solder
* A special metal wool is used for removing oxidation layers on the tip
* Replacement wools are available - order number 0051382499
* ESD Safe
* IMPORTANT: SAFETY Glasses are highly recommended so solder does not fly in your eyes.